Thursday, October 4, 2012


For my first blog entry I would like to explain why I chose the title "My Happily Ever After" for my blog. I put a lot of thought into the title and it wasn't until reading a quote given to me by a Young Women leader that I felt I found the title. The quote is by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf to the Young Women at the General Young Women's broadcast in 2010. It reads, "You are truly royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your own wondrous story had begun. Your 'once upon a time' is now."

I keep that quote with my patriarchal blessing as a reminder of who I am and what I can become. I remember watching the broadcast and being so full of the spirit after hearing President Uchtdorf's talk. Afterwards one of my Young Women leaders felt the need to remind us girls that we are "royal spirit daughters of Almighty God". We had a couple of lessons just on this one talk, but they were lessons that we all needed to hear.

In President Uchtdorf's talk he asks us to think about our favorite fairy tale, whether it be a "princess or a peasant, a mermaid or a milkmaid". He then mentions the one thing they all have in common; they must all face adversity. I LOVE what he says about us overcoming adversity, "My dear young sisters, you need to know that you will experience your own adversity. None is exempt. You will suffer, be tempted, and make mistakes. You will learn for yourself what every heroine had learned; through overcoming challenges come growth and strength. It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life's story will develop."

We can have that happy ending just like our favorite fairy tales. "'Happily ever after' is not something found only in fairy tales. You can have it! It is available for you! But you must follow your Heavenly Father's map. We are told by President Uchtdorf to "embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, fill our souls with virtue, accept and act upon the standards in For the Strength of Youth, and stand for truth and righteousness".

I am so grateful for President Uchtdorf's talk. It has blessed my life and will continue to bless my life and the lives of others. He has inspired so many young girls to strive for their "happily ever after", for a temple marriage. This talk was truly inspired by Heavenly Father for the young women of the church today. His talk is not just for the young women of the church. I encourage everyone to read it and feel of the spirit. The blessing it will bring you are incredible!

Here is the link to President Uchtdorf's talk, "Your Happily Ever After".

http://www.lds.org/liahona/2010/05/your-happily-ever-after

2 comments:

  1. Rachel! I love that you started this blog! And I love this blog post. So inspiring and true. I'm glad that you are learning who you really are and how much worth you have as a daughter of God. I look forward to reading more blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary! I'm so glad that you read it! I love reading yours and Sophia's ! You two were the reason I started a blog. You will for sure like my next post! It's gonna be great! :) Thanks for readin!

    ReplyDelete