Thursday, December 12, 2013

Indexing IS Family History Work!

Two Sundays ago before church I was looking through the Gospel Library app and came across an article in the December 2013 Ensign related to family history work. Doing family history work is something that I have grown to love lately. The article was about indexing. I have indexed before but have not done any since I began work on my own family history. The article is titled "Indexing is Vital".

I love, love, love this quote from the article. It reads, "Many of you may think family history work is to be performed primarily by older people. But I know of no age limit described in the scriptures or guidelines announced by Church leaders restricting this important service to mature adults." This is so true. I enjoy working on family history work for myself and others. You do not have to be "old" to do or be interested in family history work. The young members of the church are very knowledgeable when it comes to technology and can even teach older members how to use family history resources. 

Indexing is when someone looks at a document and types all of the information into the system. This is how members and non-members are able to search through records on family search and find their family members. Indexing is a fun way to assist with family history work. The article reads, “You don’t need to be temple worthy to index,” President Pickup says, “but when you index, it will refine you, and you will want to be temple worthy, and you will want to go to the temple, and you will want to do work for your ancestors. … I know this because it happened to me”.



Often times I feel like the guy in this short video. He is "stuck" and cannot find information for one of his relatives. It is through indexing that we can looking through records online. What a blessing!

Interested in indexing or working on your own family tree? Visit familysearch.org. The website is free for everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment